Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heat cycling tyres in oven

Heat cycling tyres in oven

Always done this for new grooved radial slicks (Z214 R7 etc), but worth it for a 200TW street semi?

http://www.gordonleven.com/zapped4racing/about/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zap_image-337x700.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	112263  
    BMW M140i daily. Honda Odyssey family car.

Wakefield 1.07.386 (FG Falcon - Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short FG Falcon 43.4 SMP GP FG Falcon 1.48.1 Winton FG Falcon 1.35.4

Whats the cost V return a set?
    Quote Originally Posted by cheapracer View Post
    Sperm are clever little fuckers that got us where we are today. You've never heard of pre-cum by the way?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nugs View Post
    That's why I punch myself in the nuts before sex, get them disorientated.

no
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo View Post
    The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019.

Is this similar to running in a clutch or engine, which is also unnecessary yet extensively researched and championed by Motorsport nerds with OCD?

Quote Originally Posted by RP_Automotive View Post
    Is this similar to running in a clutch or engine, which is also unnecessary yet extensively researched and championed by Motorsport nerds with OCD?
    Not really.

There is plenty of evidence that proper heat cycling of race tyres is effective.

In my experience, they last longer at optimum grip levels for more track days/heat cycles and taper off more slowly.
    However these were for sub 100TW.

Tyre in question is the RE71R (200TW) but I think it's a lot lower than that in the real world.
    Original question remains, would a tyre like the RE71R provide more track days at optimum grip levels if heat cycling is performed?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brihv1.ang.xl.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	292.1 KB 
ID:	112285  

Wakefield 1.07.386 (FG Falcon - Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short FG Falcon 43.4 SMP GP FG Falcon 1.48.1 Winton FG Falcon 1.35.4

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    I don't have any first hand experience of this.

But it's interesting that Tire Rack offers a service for this, $15 a tyre, but they don't use an oven, they mount the tyres on rims, and run them against some rollers.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=66

At $15 a tyre I would say "why not" but NFI what such a service would cost locally.
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Opens
    Why can't this just be done in the first session of the day and/or at the local industrial estate on a Sunday, like everyone else does it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jones View Post
    Sneakers prompted the erection. Engine stand made me do something with it

Because according the oven website the tyres need 14 days or so to properly cure.

Probably not an issue when you throw a new set every meeting, but when you are trying to get half a season or so out of a set of tyres it could be worthwhile.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
    I don't have any first hand experience of this.

But it's interesting that Tire Rack offers a service for this, $15 a tyre, but they don't use an oven, they mount the tyres on rims, and run them against some rollers.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=66

At $15 a tyre I would say "why not" but NFI what such a service would cost locally.
    About $30 from memory. Probably wrong.

$US15 to mount them on rims and run them on rollers is cheap.
    Much easier to just shove them in an oven and charge $30 for a little electricity lol.
    I think the roller option would have to be more effective?

There's a lot of things going on beyond just the heat. My experience is that you're driving the oils out of the tyre in a controlled manner when you scrub and heat cycle tyres on your car. i don't see how baking them would do anything but make them harder.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMuz View Post
    There's a lot of things going on beyond just the heat. My experience is that you're driving the oils out of the tyre in a controlled manner when you scrub and heat cycle tyres on your car. i don't see how baking them would do anything but make them harder.
    Exactly. When you heat cycle them on the car you're actually stressing the fibres in the rubber. Big difference to just heating them up in an oven.

I looked into this recently. The science makes sense and id try it if there was a cost effective option locally. Think of it as stress relieving the rubber. There is logic to it

So, in theory it should be possible to do this on a dyno also?
    " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Quote Originally Posted by Roy928tt View Post
    So, in theory it should be possible to do this on a dyno also?
    Yep would be pretty much the same as the way tirerack do it.

Only difference with doing it on the track and doing it on a dyno / rollers is cornering stresses.

How is it the same? The tyre ovens use a radiated heat source and roll the tyre around to heat it evenly. A dyno works the tyre

Quote Originally Posted by lukevl View Post
    How is it the same? The tyre ovens use a radiated heat source and roll the tyre around to heat it evenly. A dyno works the tyre
    tirerack doesn't use an oven. Click the link above. Interesting read.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane001 View Post
    tirerack doesn't use an oven. Click the link above. Interesting read.
    We are talking about the same thing. It's just a very inefficient oven that works like a meat rotisserie but with some level of heat retention through the cover.

This is what I was looking at a while ago. Same thing but some different detail on why it is a thing- http://toyotires.com.au/toyo-blog/49...1-scrubbing-in

We are talking about the same thing. It's just a very inefficient oven that works like a meat rotisserie but with some level of heat retention through the cover.
    No, you didn't read the link. Tirerack specifically state they do not add any artificial heat. "There is no artificial heat added by an oven, forced air or heat lamp." They generate heat in the tyres by running them on the rollers. So heat is generated similar to running them on the track.

Ive used both the Tirerac method (when many ordering Z214's over the years for the Turbo Taxi) and Gordon Leven oven method (on Hoosier R6/R7 sets).

Both methods are effective but I prefer the science and consistency behind the oven method.

I'm happy with their service and Bill knows his stuff.

Unfortnately, I don't have the luxury of spending an extra day at the track just to heat cycle tyres the old fashioned way but I am sure this is also effective if done correctly.

Same thing but some different detail on why it is a thing- http://toyotires.com.au/toyo-blog/49...1-scrubbing-in
    Nice description of process.

Mentions OK for street tyres too, so will use this service again with the RE71R.

Wouldn't the running them on rollers also help remove the mould release agent?

NFI on what effect a oven would have on it

Snake oil. Tyres are heated in the last part of the manufacturing process. They already have heated the rubber and the long chain molecular structure/bonds are already formed.
    Last edited by hrd; 20-06-19 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hrd View Post
    Snake oil. Tyres are heated in the last part of the manufacturing process. They already have heated the rubber and the long chain molecular structure/bonds are already formed.
    I tend to agree. I was reading an article from 1 tyre shop offering this service. They stated the heat treatment could double or triple the life of a tyre. If that was true, Iím pretty sure the tyre manufacturers would include this in their manufacturing process.

I think the reality lies somewhere in between.

If a tyre shop claims double/triple tyre life, then I'd be taking that saleman bullshit with a grain of salt.

I do believe the heat cycle/cool down process has some merit when extending tyre life though.

It seems that there is little debate about the worth of heat cycling/ breaking in new tyres.

I think the TireRack method simulates the traditional method more closely, the question is whether it is simply a matter of heat to break in tyres or is the breaking in by putting the tyre under duress to create heat, of more advantage.

I'd be inclined to believe that the tyre is breaking in in a more usefull manner by creating it's own heat under duress. I think in the end it is a matter of time and money, the TireRack method requires the tyres to be fitted to the rim whereas the Gordon Leven oven is used on the bare tyre which can then be shipped off to wherever the purchaser is.

If I were a serious racing organisation I guess I'd have an inhouse machine to run up all tyres on their rims and it would also induce lateral loads onto the carcass to ensure all parts of the tyre have undergone a normalising procedure.

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    Tire Rack mounts the tyre on their rim, does the break in process, takes the tyre off the rim, then ships it to you.
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

If Ray Hislop uses that system I'm sold on it. If anyone needs to get the best from their tyres Ray is the man, a big, heavy, angry V8 on undersized tyres, he has been at the front of IPRA for long enough to know what works.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
    Tire Rack mounts the tyre on their rim, does the break in process, takes the tyre off the rim, then ships it to you.
    They'd want to have a decent selection of rims wouldn't they?