Thread: Getting old glue off of dash trims

Supraholic

Getting old glue off of dash trims

G'day guys,

Previous owner, in their infinite wisdom, thought that sticking things to a dash is a fantastic solution and the answer to all their troubles with various gadgets and useless other shit they required at the time.

I've forgotten about it for a while, but visiting back home figured may as well give the car a clean inside and see how to fix this monumental spastic moment by the previous muppet. So.... ideas? The gadgets weren't even great to be honest, additional power outlet and some other useless crap that was binned when the car arrived on Australian shores.

Need something that will dissolve the old glue, without harming the dash.

I've used Un-du from Bunnings on video game boxes to ditch stickers and that works a treat, but a bit difficult to apply here given the slopes in the dash. Kinda need that stuff to sit for a minute to make it work well.

Tried Isopropyl, and a few years ago I probably tried methylated spirits - however didn't manage to get much if at all off. I'm hoping the trim itself isn't damaged, because nothappyjan.jpg

Could call a detailer, but given I barely have time to do anything with the car I quite like giving things a shot myself. If nothing works then a detailer will be engaged.

Cliffs;
    - muppet sticks shit to dash
    - glue has been there for ages
    - utter need of removal
    - need help because losing hair
    - how to?
    - helpme.please

Pics for reference.

Cheers!
    Last edited by shifted; 23-06-19 at 02:04 PM.
    '13 Yamaha R1 // '00 Toyota Supra RZ // '72 Ford XA Fairmont

Sell me your old videogames? Nintendo, Sega, PlayStation, some XBox...

I've had good success with acetone. Use a small q tip soaked in in on a small area first to make sure your dash plastics doesn't melt. Then wipe with damp (water) cloth.

The detailers over here use a locally made product here called quicky or something. It doesn't remove glue even though it's being hydrocarbon based.

As much as my ocd would be triggered if it was my car, the chance of making it worse than it is is pretty high... That's a relatively minor (but obviously very annoying) mark... I'd just leave it

https://www.bunnings.com.au/oomph-25...mover_p4470014

I used this with great success to remove the glue which sticks reflective tape and decals to my mine spec ute. The usual suspects didn't touch it but this stuff turn need that glue into jelly very quick. Great for an apparent natural product? I'd use with caution on the interior.

Supraholic
    I'm actually hoping now that it is still glue and not the dash finish damaged/ripped off as a result.

Why do muppets stick shit where it shouldn't.

No chance of getting a new dash/replacement dash faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaark.

Yeah thatís mostly fucked dash material there. You may be able to make it more presentable but thereís scuffing and marking that is always going to show.
    ---
    Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Quote Originally Posted by Likes Dirt View Post
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/oomph-25...mover_p4470014

I used this with great success to remove the glue which sticks reflective tape and decals to my mine spec ute. The usual suspects didn't touch it but this stuff turn need that glue into jelly very quick. Great for an apparent natural product? I'd use with caution on the interior.
    Came here to post this

Supraholic
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Yeah thatís mostly fucked dash material there. You may be able to make it more presentable but thereís scuffing and marking that is always going to show.
    Damn, is there a way to repair it? Is there a mob out there that repairs interior bits like this? I recall coming across a website ages ago but fucked if I could remember any names or links.

Itís soft-touch dognose isnít it? The problem is with that material is to upper skin is formed against a mould and immediately below itís a rubbery porous foam. The skin has a smooth surface. When you over rub these things you rub through that surface and expose the squidgey bits on edge of the texture.

At the same time all the chemicals sit in the texture and leech out colour etc making it look worse.

You could try a cloth soaked in you favourite non-silicone dash treatment being left against the surface for a few hours. It may darken things up a bit, and remove some of the visual contrast.

In hard trims you get screwed by the texture being rubbed away or the Mesa and valleys of the texture having different depths in that area. You may theoretically be able to use a super fine polish to blend the whole thing but that could equally fuck it completely on cleanup because a lot of the non-tactile plastics are softer than the surfaces you touch a lot (despite looking the same)
    ---
    Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Eucalyptus oil is good for removing glue

Supraholic
    Bit wary of using any oils or that oomph stuff in case there is an adverse reaction of some kind which may make it worse.

Itís soft-touch dognose isnít it?
    Yes it is by the looks and feel, it's a bit supple under the fingers. I don't even know if that's the correct use of the word supple, but it's soft.

You could try a cloth soaked in you favourite non-silicone dash treatment being left against the surface for a few hours. It may darken things up a bit, and remove some of the visual contrast.
    Would you happen to have any suggestions? Aside from the Amorall Protectant I'm well outside of my knowledge zone. Happy to try a few suggestions though.

Have used eucalyptus oil many times for this exact thing.