Thread: Driving on NSW rego in QLD

Driving on NSW rego in QLD

Hi All,

Up in QLD and just landed a job (start Monday). Funds are extremely limited til I get a few paycheques under my belt.

The QLD transport website says you only have 14 days to change your rego over. Standard granny spec Ford Focus - with yellow plates that stick out like dog balls.

Am I likely to get reamed? I will do it in the next few weeks but will cops actually ping me for it if I'm polite and explain? What's the actual charge? Can't understand how they verify you've been here longer.

Also made difficult by the fact I have nothing with a QLD address on it - website says I need proof of a garaging address.

Or am I stressing for no reason? Please say yes. 😊 Will be driving Red Hill to Wacol and return for a 7am start for about a month til I can do it.

Thanks!
    Dave
    2005 VZ SS 5.7L M6 Ute

I wouldn't worry.

I have driven around on NSW registered cars with a Qld address for a few months to let the NSW rego almost run out until swapping over.

You have three months to swap over your licence, so just tell them you are up here for a short work contract if you are stopped.

Also great to see you are back and I hope everything is going well.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

I would think that until you have some Qld documentation to prove you are a resident you won't have to worry too much. Until then you are just visiting.

Whilst this was quite a few years ago - I lived there for over 2 years and still kept one of my cars NSW registered.
    I only got questioned once ( when pulled over for an RBT or something) and I just said that I kinda live in both states equally and am not planning on staying too much longer (was on a work contract).
    Ironically I was stopped 3 times in about 2 mths (actually pulled over and questioned) once I moved back to Sydney and hadn't transferred the QLD vehicle over.. (same excuse used, no problem) - left it QLD until rego was due

Thanks fellas feel alot less stressed now.
    Pxl- yes not homeless anymore and looking forward to working first time in 12months 😁

Quote Originally Posted by dhs View Post
    Thanks fellas feel alot less stressed now.
    Pxl- yes not homeless anymore and looking forward to working first time in 12months 😁
    Well done !! Onwards and Upwards..

Good to hear life is sorting itself out for you finally, congrats and enjoy.

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

I once asked a HWP Officer in Brisbane this very question. They said just drive it until the rego runs out, then transfer over. Good lot these QLDers.

That story reeks of lies mrkebabs... No one will believe you actually met a nice, helpful HWP officer!

| 1963 RK43 Toyota Lite-Stout (Stanley) | 2002 EC5W Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S (Larry) |

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    PF - We're not happy till you're not happy.

Hah! He was patrolling the Suncorp Stadium during a big game, so must've been in a good mood!

Exposing Swamp Creatures Walt Kowalski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dhs View Post
    Hi All,

Up in QLD and just landed a job (start Monday). Funds are extremely limited til I get a few paycheques under my belt.

The QLD transport website says you only have 14 days to change your rego over. Standard granny spec Ford Focus - with yellow plates that stick out like dog balls.

Am I likely to get reamed? I will do it in the next few weeks but will cops actually ping me for it if I'm polite and explain? What's the actual charge? Can't understand how they verify you've been here longer.

Also made difficult by the fact I have nothing with a QLD address on it - website says I need proof of a garaging address.

Or am I stressing for no reason? Please say yes. 😊 Will be driving Red Hill to Wacol and return for a 7am start for about a month til I can do it.

Thanks!
    Dave

So long as your licence corresponds with your rego address and it’s your “principal place of residence” you shouldn’t have a problem.

Yellow plates no difference to on board plate recognition computers.

I’ve been in Qld for years and never had a problem driving Qld registered cars.

Then I put a new car in my name registered at my Qld address. Three days and I got pulled up. It flagged that owner hadn’t had a Qld licence (expired for 12 years).

As soon as I said I was visiting and just leave the car at my holiday place they were cool.

Two days later I got a Qld licence.

Got spoken to by a Copper today on my motorbike. Has WA reg. Apparently I contravened a red arrow among that clusterfuck that was the approach to the storey bridge today. Once he verified both license and rego were current I was on my way with a warning for rolling the red arrow.

Another scenario not unrelated, what's the risk of a Queensland registered car for someone living in New South Wales or the ACT.

I have a car with Queensland mod plate for a rollcage and had thought about registering it at a family address in Queensland. It'll be just for driving to track days. It's a bright green at the moment and screams race car. I've had suspected I'd be on a hiding to nothing.

PS I had thought about registering it in a family company name and saying it's only visiting if I were to be pulled up.

A mate living in Sydney has a very loud Lotus Elise that is registered in Qld. I've known him almost 15 years and the car has been on Qld plates all that time. AFAIK, the car has not been to Qld for almost 20 years. It is registered at his mothers address. It is mostly a weekend car but it does get used and he has even been giving his son driving lessons in the it.
    If you dig a hole and it is in the wrong place, digging it deeper isn't going to help.

Police warn that blow-up dolls are not recognised floatation devices.

QLD has a great thing called a QLD garaging address. As long as you have someone here who will vouch that the car is garaged at their address you are sweet. I did this with the Porka. Had it in Perth for about 4 years on qld plates. No cop hassles in that time. Reckon interstate roadworthy notices would be problematic. Was handy as the mods had stepped up in that time. Was easy to just bring back to this state and carry as if nothing had changed.