Thread: Good street pads

Good street pads

So I'm trying to improve the braking feel and performance on the S60. It had new rotors and pads when I got it but the brakes had no feel and the initial bite was poor, you had to really jump on the brakes to get them to bite, admittedly I don't think the brakes are highly boosted. Turns out it had RDA pads fitted which are/were utter shit. Car runs reasonable sized rotors 336mm on the front and 302mm on the rear, but no fancy multi piston caliper just a big single piston joby on the front.

Ended up fitting a set of Bremtec ELC (Euroline ceramic) on the front only, braking has improved and I definitely have confidence it will pull the car up now, the RDA's not so much. But the initial bite (torque response) I still wouldn't call great. The other issue is although they seem fine at low and moderate speeds at higher speeds the retardation level seems considerably worse especially if you've had a couple moderate brake applications already. So I get the feeling they very quickly loose friction with even moderate road braking temps.

The car likely won't ever see a track and if it does it won't be pushed hard.

Plan is to change out the pads front and rear and also fit a set of braided lines.

But pad choices despite not being an overly common car are still quite extensive.

• Bremtec Evolve or Pro-line (they don't actually list this series in my pads but I might contact them to see if they could make a set)
    • Porterfield R4S (these were actually recommended by Viva performance in the US)
    • Remsa
    • Hawk HPS 5.0
    • Hawk Performance ceramic
    • EBC Red
    • EBC Yellow
    • StopTech Street Performance
    • Carbotech 1521 or maybe AX6 (they don't actually list a rear but I'm sure they would do one that fits just need to dig through their shape catalogue)
    • Ferodo 2500 (again they don't actually list brakes for the S60 but I can find the correct shape etc.. on their page)

At this stage I'm leaning towards the Porterfield or Carbotech.

Any recommendations or experience?

I found a couple threads related to pads on track cars but nothing really for street cars.
    Last edited by Luke352; 15-07-19 at 08:43 PM.

Smoke em if you got em! LINCOLN's Avatar
    I have found Intima sr pads good for a fast street car (r32 gtr). Not sure if they do S60.

You have to get a little heat in them but easy enough to do. Good on discs and low dust
    Last edited by LINCOLN; 15-07-19 at 08:28 PM.

Check out the Project Mu range

Remsa.
    2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
    2007 KTM 250 SX

Quote Originally Posted by Monza View Post
    I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

I've just swapped intimas in my daily s13 for porterfield r4s pads. I can't fault them. they bite really well from cold. The intimas needed to warm up but have been fine on the track. I had to emergency brake on the freeway a few months ago and it just didn't want to stop. That was the main reason i swapped them out.

Yeah I don't want something I need to get heat into. I want it to work cold and street warm/warm-hot so the Intimas might not work for me plus I can't find my pad listed. The current bremtec are fine cold but you can tell once they start getting warm the braking performance is degrading.

I've heard decent reports about the Remsa.

Project Mu I'd need to contact as they only list the older s60 with the Brembo
    Last edited by Luke352; 16-07-19 at 08:58 AM.

Check out if you are getting much flex of your firewall under hard pedal application. You might find a brace for your master cylinder improves your pedal feel.

I'm a big carbotech advocate, but I've used XP10 and X12s. too much noise for a road car, but as far as recommending a brand, I'd give them the thumbs up. do what they say on the tin.

Oo___oO

The royal penis is clean tremolo's Avatar
    I just threw a set of Forza FP2 on my car. They are good so far - work well from cold, good feel and plenty of outright stopping power. Also spew a lot less dust than my OEM Brembos.

i have used carbotech 1521 decent enough street pad. AX6 too much temperature dependency
    hawk HPS (old ones) were rubbish not tried 5.0 and i'd avoid the hawk ceramic
    E30 325is M20 3.1L

I've not heard anything back from Carbotech about a suitable rear pad or from Bremtec about their higher spec pads to suit so I think they'll probably be off the list.

So Remsa and Porterfield are looking like the better options.

I put Remsa in the front of the XR5 as the OE pads were dusty. I sold that car over 100k later and the pads were only 50% worn and Id done one track day at Collie and they never faded.
    2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
    2007 KTM 250 SX

Quote Originally Posted by Monza View Post
    I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    Maybe try flicking Ash at DVS an email?
    I don't know that he's tested anything as recent as a V60, but the stuff he sells for older cars he sells after trying a few.
    I think he rates the Project Mu for a 240 with RX7 brakes, but prolly worth at least asking him about your S60.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Thanks I've sent DVS an email.

A vote for Remsa here as well.

YOu are running the correct fluid, as some is not backwards compatible
    you cant spell advertisements without semen between the tits