Thread: 2008 BMW Mini N12 Engine

2008 BMW Mini N12 Engine

In laws have asked me to change timing chain on their mini.

Some kits have the sproket as part of the kit, others dont. Is this something that would need to be normally changed?

From what I can gather the issue is as much with the timing chain tensioners/guides rather than the actual chain or sprockets.

My understanding was that manufacturers moved away from belts to chains to reduce the lifetime cost of the car, which would suggest that the chain was meant to last the life of the car.

But of course they didn't figure on the poor design of the chain path and cheap shit plastic guides.
    " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

from what I can gather, oil does not get changed, oil turns to shit, oil gets hotter than it should, shit hot fucked oil fucks up the plastic guides, turns them brittle and there is your problem. Don't know if the problem is a shit design or just lack of maintenance. Probably a mixture of the two.

I'll pull bits out of car and have a look and come back to the brains trust.

These are the “prince” engine aren’t they? My in laws had the crank sprocket and chain replaced as a recall on their Peugeot. If it hasn’t been done probably worth looking in to.

Side story: Sprocket came off not to long later and ate the engine. The dealer who did the recall tried to blame an independent service shop for the cause. After a lengthy battle they replaced the engine.